Thursday, August 21, 2008

Some reasons for apathy (Kyrgigizstan)


It is more difficult to find internet connection in Kyrgigistan than in many African countries. It is very difficult to find certain goods: milk, olive oil and fresh bread or smiles. Nobody knows when it was the last time the Kyrgyz smiled. Some say it was during the Soviet Union age: a single and united country. What do humble men feel when they see the city of Tiblisi being rooted? War in Georgia is another reason to pack your suitcase and travel the World.

Vodka is easily found in Kyrgigistan. One litre bottle less than one euro.
There are huge shops offering a small variety of products, most of them sell just the same products. Vodka being the king on the shelves. You can find up to 15 vodka brands, five of beers and one of biscuits. No matter if you can speak some Russian, locals here do not like talking much. They look at me with a certain degree of apathy, as if they did not like me going into the shops and asking for the price of a kilo of tomatoes.
They have dry eyes and an empty look.
I never thought the accident I had in Turkey was going to have such bad consequences in Kogadonga. I have made some changes and still it seems to go wrong. I am waiting for the spare parts to be sent by Bike Tech. 85 kilos of weight seem to be too much for a bent frame. Mi mood is longing for the African time when smiling and nice people used to be present in my visits to the local markets.

But I am making headway, little by little, towards Bishkek, the capital, where I hope to get Kogadonga into a good shape to climb Issik Kul, the second highest lake worldwide after Titicaca in Bolivia. It has thermal waters, never icy. I will try Kumys again (cow fermented milk) and share the place under the stars with the local shepherds. They go up there in summer to enjoy the so called Paradise.
As Rosales would say, I make headway like a stubborn ant carrying the load upwards, with the caution of a paper horse in the bathroom. Three steps forward and two backwards.
From Bishekek, day 1372, Peace and Well Being, the Biciclown.


P.S Congratulations to Samuel Sánchez for the gold medal, I wish him the best and that he continues joining the group of friends, the same as he joined me when I left my town in November 2004. But he still has to fulfil the promise he made me then: to put on a clown nose when he wins a race. China would have been great.