Monday, June 16, 2008

Visas hunting (Iran 16-06-2008)


A country full of mountains and few trees. Wind blowing westwards. My legs are now used to pushing the 85 kg upwards. It is not easy to overcome 2,500 m. suffering is my every day cake.


Mountains never end, one after another, most cars and trucks take over sounding their horns. The smoke from their cars is just enough!. One stopped to offer some water and take a picture. In Iran everybody says Hello to me. ?Hello mister, how are you, I am fine thank you? they say it all. But one day one of them stopped me and showed me a picture, it was me when climbing the other day. We ended up having lunch together. In Iran it is best not to make many plans, one never knows...
After more than 185km by bike I arrived in Qazvin. It was all flat and the wind stroking my back. 7 and a half hours biking. i was tired. A boy stopped me and ended up putting me up in his house, first he phoned home for his mother and sisters not to show up. After a good shower he took me to dinner. He told me a mortal secret: I am a heroin addict. Before going for dinner we had to buy his daily intake to overcome the crisis. . Enjoy it, I said. I did not know what to say.
He said, no my friend, I am suffering, this is my medicine.
After many days climbing up, I was now ready to go down. But Kogadonga had a problem and I had to travel the last 25km by car. Some days seem to be endless.
Finally, I entered Teheran. It was Friday, Bank Holiday, lucky me. Streets almost empty which was less risky.
Now I am spending some days here but with no bike. The Embassies of the countries I have to cross are too far. They only open a couple of hours a day. It will take me three days to get the visa for Uzbekistan. Then, I can apply for one for Tajikistan, JUST 2 weeks more to wait for it, the one for Kirzigistan will be applied in Dushanbe, capital off Tajikistan, and Kazahastan?s in Bishkek, capital of Kirzigistan. This is how I am preparing my futre.
As for the shows, no good news. ACNUR has not obtained the permits to perorm at the Refuggee Camps in Afghanistan. Some officials of Spanish Embassy in Teheran have tried hard, things may seem easier in Iran.
Thanks very much to the family that has welcomed me. Incredible to see the ladies wrapping up when the go to the street.
I will visit Isfahan and Persépolis while waiting for the Embassies to give me the visas. I will tell you about these beautiful places when I come back
Day 1306, Peace and Well Being, the biciclown